Tuesday, July 01, 2008

A**holes in America

So I popped over to the local big box home improvement store at lunch today to try to find a specific florescent light bulb for the fan/light in the bathroom. Just as I exited my car, a stumbled ever so slightly as I checked to be sure that yes, I had my specifications and my keys and my phone. It wasn’t even enough of a stumble to make me think, “Gosh, I hope no one was looking!” Thirty seconds later, I barely remembered it.

As I walked through the big orange doors, a man says to me, “Have a nice trip?”

I looked at him quizzically.

He said it again, “Have a nice trip?”

I was just about to say that he must have me confused with someone else when he added, “I saw you trip in the parking lot.” Then he chuckled and walked away.

I was stunned. My jaw was open a little as I tried to remember. Then, oh, yeah, I guess I did trip a little.

But then my mind quickly went to this thought: A**hole.

I went to find my lightbulb, but kept an eye out lest that beautiful specimen of humanity end up in my aisle.

I still can’t really believe it. It’s almost surreal. That an adult (notice I didn’t say grown-up) would go out of his way to say something like that to a complete stranger is beyond me.

I'll bet he was a bully in high school.

Ick.

3 comments:

Lynne Thompson said...

I agree with you. But I know some people for which this is what "humor" is comprised of--noticing and commenting on people's foibles -- no matter how trivial. Underneath this kind of humor lurks a put-down...a need to dominate sometimes even. Your feelings are valid--he is icky. Sorry! Hugs. LT

J said...

I've known people like that, too. But to say it to a complete stranger took it to another level for me.

I've over it now. But was pretty stunned for a couple hours.

eba said...

so tacky. some people don't deserve to be let out in public.