Tuesday, July 14, 2009

So Wrong

Hubby and I were out to dinner last night, and decided to walk around the small town a little afterward, peering into the windows of the closed shops.

In the window of a children's shop was prominently displayed a baby onesie printed or appliqued to look like a zebra-print bikini. I kid you not.

It was so utterly tasteless and so wrong on so many levels. We became more and more disturbed the more we thought about it, even as we tried to joke around about it.

Objectification of women and s*xualization of little girls is such a problem in our culture, and that onesie took it to a new low level. Euw, a million times over. Once home, I did a Web search and found it here. The woman's other stuff looks cute, but those onesies are just beyond tacky. I'm really tempted to get in touch with that shop and say so.

I guess the only good thing I can say is that I have a renewed resolve not to put my daughter in inappropriate clothing. Not that I ever did. But still.

Ick.

1 comment:

Ruthie said...

Wow. That is unbelievably tasteless. You can't make this stuff up.

I am continually blown away by the pervasive (and subversive, in many ways) messages that invade little girls' lives about what it means to be female. It's so restrictive and saddening and belittling. And it starts so, so young.

Little girls are wonderful, but I frequently thank God that I have a son and not a daughter--the task of raising a confident, self-assured, happy daughter free of emotional and cultural hangups seems like it would be a daunting task indeed. I think boys have it a bit easier.