Wednesday, July 01, 2009

What Have I Gotten Myself Into?

I had another phone meeting with a publishing house today. We're tweaking my outline and probably going to contract stage next week. 55,000 words by mid-October. In addition to my regular job, and a few other things I have going on.

I am utterly terrified.

I was approached about a month ago about writing a book about parenting. Kind of a "what the regular parenting books won't tell you" first five years kind of thing. I got into this due to some other writing I have been doing for about a year and a half now - I didn't dream it up on my own and never entertained the thought of a book on any topic (no Great American Novel in the bottom drawer). I think it's rather laughable that I have been asked to consider writing such a book as I have no freaking clue what I am doing on the parenting thing. I have screwed up so much! Yet the kids are still alive. Go figure.

Have I mentioned that I am terrified? So terrified I can barely talk about it. My family and a couple people know about it, but I am having such a hard time actually talking to them about it.

What if I am laughed at? What if I embarrass my family? What happens if the book is panned as the WORST. BOOK. RELATED. TO. MOTHERING. EVER? Will I ever be able to show my face again? Anywhere?

Ugh.

3 comments:

eba said...

I am so freaking excited for you. I expect that I'll be clamoring to buy a copy and then to have you sign it. You're a very good writer. You're a great mom - and yes, you've screwed things up - were you expecting to be perfect? But of course you're a great mom.

And I think you should plan for people to say it's the Worst. Book. Ever. so what? You'll have other people telling you how fabulous it is -- listen to them instead!

You'll do great. I know you will.

Kanga Jen said...

J, this is fantastic!!!! I haven't been keeping up with FB and blogs lately because we've had guests, so I'm just now reading this. You are the perfect person to write a book like this. EVERYONE screws some things up because we're all human. You have a wonderful way of looking back at any screwups in a realistic way and learning something from them. That's a great approach for new parents to learn. I'm so excited for you!!! Will be talking to you about this more later because I'm interested to hear how it goes. Congrats!!!

Jen

Lynne Thompson said...

You are one of the smartest, kindest, most perceptive and thoughtful, yet tough moms I know. It will be fabulous, and different and smart. And I will buy it and so will lots of others. YAY you...!