Thursday, July 29, 2010

Time for Another Leap

When my company hired a VP of Engineering recently, I was hopeful. My previous boss, whom I like very much as a person, is not a very good manager. This new person started and I was pleased. I thought, "Finally! We'll make some forward progress!" The developers were optimistic, I was optimisitc, the QA people were optimistic.

But then I started to get a weird vibe. He didn't seem to get my part-time schedule at all - and kept pushing against it. Why wouldn't I be in on Wednesday? Explain it again.

I just kept at my work, kept up the communication efforts, kept doing what needed to be done and looking for additional ways to contribute. Like usual. But also like usual, my kids and my family came first. There were a couple days I needed to shoot out right at my ending time, and I made no apologies for that.

This VP is rather a youngster. Early 30s. Smart - well, book smart, I guess. Wife stays at home with small children. Email at all hours. Etc. We are clearly at vastly different points in our lives.

This afternoon he called me in before I left (earlier than usual, admittedly, as hubby is on a bad work schedule, but I worked all this out with management over two years ago when I started the job) and told me that I needed to go full-time, every single day in the office during "normal" hours, 8-5:30. Or transition out of the company.

He then handed me a piece of paper with what he thought was the job description. Most of it was what I do already. Under "Qualifications" it read, "Two years previous experience."

Two. 2. Dos.

Um....if he thinks he could get some person with two years of experience in here to do what I do, he is out of his mind. He would lose the better part of a year of productivity for this person to come up to speed on the product, the technology, how the company works, and so on.

So. Looks like I'll be transitioning out of the company. I may mount some kind of a defense when I am next in the office, but I doubt it will do anything. He seems to have made up his mind long since. I'll try to negotiate a real transition and severance. Then I'll be looking to leap elsewhere.

But to where, or what, I don't know.

Suggestions?

4 comments:

Lynne Thompson said...

Yikes!

Do you have HR persona you could talk to? You were there first, after all, with an understanding in place...sheesh. He won't compromise? It almost sounds like how productive you are doesn't matter? Could you offer an extra day at home? And start early? Or is he just hopeless?

sorry...

Lynne

p.s. It's really hard to find a job right now...:-(

Lynne Thompson said...

any ideas? different take on it? Is your boss still immovable?

Kanga Jen said...

Oh dammit. I only read blogs about once a month now, so I'm only just now getting this. Any movement here? Have you met with him yet?

I think you are in a position where you have the "luxury" of being able to choose your priorities. I am too. We both were able to make it work with part time in order to do what we felt needed to be done for our families. We're lucky, and I'm proud of us for both taking advantage of the opportunity and staying true to our priorities.

I was recently faced with a similar decision. My work group (my officemate, really) was recently awarded a BIG contract. .. lots of work over the next 5 years - data flights over many urban cities during the summers. Plus, we have a mission to Thailand coming up in a couple of years. Meanwhile, another one of my team members has accepted a temporary position at NASA HQ, which means his planned contributions for this big project need someone to cover them. And I'm the logical person.

They both asked me to go back full time. In my case, I told them there's no way I could go back full time, but I did agree to add Fridays back into my schedule. So I met them partway.

The WONDERFUL thing about my situation is that my co-workers TOTALLY get it. My team leader has 3 youngish kids and a wife that stays home, but he TOTALLY gets what goes into raising a family. So he's good with any decision I make, and I'm happy to show him I'm willing to meet him partway.

Your situation sounds vastly different, unfortunately. I can't believe this NEW guy has the guts to issue an ultimatum to someone he doesn't even know yet. Clearly, he doesn't fully appreciate your contributions, PLUS he hasn't figured out that more often than not, part time workers are WAY more efficient than full time workers. As 60% worker, I know I put in much more than 60% of the work I'd do if I were full time. He doesn't get it. And I'm pissed that he would have the gall to tell you he knows better.

Stay true to what you know you need. You are. I am so bummed for you. :-(

Multi-Ainjo said...

Wow... That sucks. I know how hard it is to juggle, work, family and do well in all of it. I certianly respect you for it.

I hope you can leave with grace and dignity and tell him something like "When you find I'm more valuable than you realized, I may be interested in coming back."

But maybe that's a bit heavy handed? I dunno. Wish I had more insight.