Wednesday, December 19, 2007

The Next Day

Goodness, what a 24 hours.

After the initial shock of the announcement in the boardroom yesterday morning, we all set about gathering our things, sharing contact info, downloading any personal information off our computers and saying good-bye. My exit interview was short and to the point. There is some severance and I’ll be able to file for unemployment. Just as I was leaving, several people were saying they had already received calls from recruiters, and one was “learning more” about a short-term contract.

I left the office at 1:30. I made a couple of stops on the way home and by 4PM was on the rowing machine, completing my Holiday Challenge (200K version). I let myself take a non-environmentally-friendly long, hot shower. Then it was time to pick up the kids, get them dinner, and when my husband arrived home, off to a Christmas gathering for the Sunday school teachers at church and a large cup of spiked eggnog.

I slept fitfully last night, even though I believe that it will all work out somehow. My husband is supportive.

The people with whom I was working are great people. I felt very optimistic about this team of people and what we could have accomplished. I think that optimism clouded my ability or willingness to see the signs of catastrophe from the greater organizations. Signs like not restocking the coffee in the kitchen consistently and no holiday gathering and not reprinting business cards since moving into the new (bright, shiny, no-expense-spared down to custom-made wallpaper) offices two months ago. I thought maybe we’d have a few more weeks, or maybe there would be a change in the management team. I didn’t expect it like it happened. And I wanted to believe it could and would turn around.

As I have told people about the end of my job, most people comment on the timing – just one week before Christmas. Truth is, the timing is never good for this kind of thing. No matter how it is handled, it sucks. And I think it sucks worse for other people. The guy in the cubicle next to me had been there two or three weeks, forgoing a yearly bonus at his old company to join us. And Monday was his welcome lunch. Seriously.

I feel anxious about the job search process because of my schedule. I work part-time, very specific days and hours, and it’s hard to go into an interview with that kind of need. But I’ll start working contacts I have, and try to stay positive. Tomorrow I am going to have lunch with two of my now former coworkers and hopefully our now former manager. I’ll also run a couple of errands I’d been wondering how I would complete with our usual crazy schedule.

Life goes on.

4 comments:

Lynne Thompson said...

OMG! I'm sorry! I know you'll find something else...but isn't it hard when it's not your choice? Try to enjoy the bit of time off, because really as you said we could all use some this time of year. Good Luck J. Happy Holidays --LT

Ruthie said...

"I work part-time, very specific days and hours, and it’s hard to go into an interview with that kind of need. But I’ll start working contacts I have, and try to stay positive. Tomorrow I am going to have lunch with two of my now former coworkers and hopefully our now former manager."

You're smart and focused and competent. If you walk into an interview convinced that you will be an asset to the company/organization/what have you, they will be too! I hope you find a job you love.

Kanga Jen said...

How are you these days? I hope you're able to put this mess aside long enough to enjoy being with your wonderful family at Christmastime. Happy egg-nog and ham and pumpkin pie or whatever the savory concoction is that you whip up!!

Peace to you all -
Jen

J said...

I'm very mixed, Jen - thanks for asking. The shock has mostly worn off. I'm a bit more pissed off, too. On Thursday I learned that I received 1/2 the number of weeks of severance that most of my coworkers received - 1/3 of the weeks of some. While I am thankful there is some severance, I'm feeling a bit screwed. As a part-time employee, I drew no benefits, had fewer holidays, etc., and now, it appears, that part-time status meant I was not worth giving proportionate severance. Ugh. (A director of the company who went part-time a this fall also received the reduced number of weeks - she's even more pissed - she also had to give exit interviews in which she saw just how much severance others were getting)

Anyway, back to the holiday. My baking is done, gifts are wrapped, and there is some good wine in the kitchen...