Monday, December 03, 2007

Persona Non Grata

If the GM really does trade away my favorite rookie, I (and many others) will be seriously pissed off. If the trade goes through this week, the GM should just stay in Nashville and manage from afar. He will not be welcome in his own hometown.

This isn't like 2004 when he traded away Mr. Superstitious. Sure, that one was stunning at the start, but the validity of that trade became apparent within days. And rumors of discord in the locker room had been leaking for quite sometime. It was something that had to happen eventually.

This time, however, there is only love in the Nation for this rookie, and a very good one at that. So much joy for the game, so much energy, so much potential. He is so good for baseball in general and our team in particular. And since he'll still technically be a rookie next season, we might be able to have back-to-back rookies of the year.

I'm not saying the ace in question isn't worth trading for - he is. But not a trade at any price. And the rookie from Oregon is too high a price.

Maybe the GM is worried about the pressure on the rookie to live up to potential as a player and as a franchise symbol, especially in such a sports-crazy town. It's a valid concern. But let the kid prove himself, because my gut says he will - and with class and dignity. Give him the whole shot at the Big Show.

3 comments:

Kanga Jen said...

I KNOW!!!!

I'm checking the rumors page all the time to get updates. Latest I saw is that the Twins are reviewing Lester's medical records and that Ellsbury is not included in the deal currently on the table. And, like you, I'd hate to see us lose Lester but if we lost Mr. Cute Happy Energetic Rookie, I would cry. Seriously.

Crossing my fingers.

Kanga Jen said...

So what is this about our favorite rookie's new agent?

OMG.

Who got his hooks into him?

He's still my favorite (other than my boyfriend of course). But I shake my finger at him and tell him to be wary.

J said...

OMG. NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!

I never saw that coming. Boras' reputation for sure has dipped after the A-Rod/Evil Empire fiasco...but it's still wrong, wrong, wrong for Mr. Sunshine to sign with him.

Oh, dear. I hope this is just a passing flirtation with the Dark Side.