Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Whole Lotta Nothing

M has strep again. Sigh.

I've been helping a friend with her campaign for reelection to school committee. My job is to organize coffees in people's houses. A person expresses an interest in helping, the person works with me to coordinate a date that suits them and the candidate, I help with invitations, get a list of invitees for our database, introduce the candidate at the event and generally facilitate conversation. It's been good for keeping me occupied and getting me out of the house some.

In the course of getting out, I've been in a fair number of people's houses. I may believe that we have a house that is just right for us, but, dang it, I also have some serious house envy. This one house in particular. It was put-together without being too formal. Pretty but not fussy. Tall ceilings, larger rooms. Just very well done. Though with the number of cabinets in the kitchen (few), I surmise the owner does a lot of takeout.

With Easter coming up, and just two days before my dad's birthday, I realize that I have been missing him a lot lately. Easter was always a fun family day growing up, and we almost always had brunch out with whatever family was local. It was a real treat. I'd love to have that kind of family tradition for Easter (not necessarily going out, but at the least gathering), but as much as I have tried to foster it over the years, I don't get much cooperation. Then I miss my dad even more.

The anniversary of C's illness is coming up. I think I'm doing okay with it right now. I think.

I'm planning S's very first birthday party. We're keeping it fairly simple, though I think it will be lots of fun. It will be at a gymnastics place the next town over. She is SO excited.

Town meeting has been ongoing for a few days. We bought the fire chief a new car without dissent (his current car isn't all that old), agreed to arguably needed renovations for a town tennis court without debate, had vehement opposition to textbooks for the kids in the schools, had vocal opposition to desperately needed repairs for the town pool, and a host of other things that make no freakin' sense to me. The police and fire departments were appropriated a LARGE sum to have their new buildings designed, at least with discussion. But I still contend the fire station isn't needed right now and the money appropriated for that design could have more than covered text books.

I went to a meeting last night that discussed contracting and consulting. While I prefer a regular position, time to adjust my view I think. One of the suggestions was for getting a business license to set yourself up as a sole proprietorship DBA ("doing business as"). This can be very helpful for cleaner accounting around tax payments, deducting business expenses, etc. So this morning I acquired a business license from the town hall. Part of my business name is "in Print" - where print can mean words or images. If I ever get this printmaking thing back on track, I'll already have some business bits in place.

My neighbors have an accepted offer on their house. They will be out of here before summer.

An old friend of my husband's family called this afternoon. Out of the blue. She lives in Norway. She called a couple of times about a year and a half ago with a crazy story about her husband. It was the kind of series of events you just can't make up, and it was happening to her. We talked for about 15 minutes, about nothing much at all. It was nice. She said she might come visit. Huh.

Told you, whole lotta nothing.

3 comments:

eba said...

the neighbors who drive you crazy?

J said...

nope - other ones.

Lynne Thompson said...

My Dad's birthday is today. I miss him too, though he is still on the earth (in GA and never comes here). HUGS to you. Certain times of the year are just rough patches for me (totally get it). HUGS. I also get the house envy...LT