Thursday, May 29, 2008

And It's Not Even 7:00AM

Every few months, my husband goes on a pretty nasty schedule at work. It means I am functionally a single parent for that time, taking care of all the pick up, drop off, cooking, house stuff, school stuff, games, other needs, and so on. He's on that schedule now. None of us likes it, and the kids are adept at choosing these times (intentionally or not) to push my buttons.

When my husband left the house about 6:00 this morning, S-having crawled in with us about 4:00AM- roused enough to give him a kiss and hug. Just after he left, S declared that she wanted her daddy to get her some juice (in a sippy cup, a morning ritual). I explained that Daddy had left for work and she needed to sleep some more anyway. Total four year old meltdown ensued. I was mostly able to calm her down but then needed to come downstairs to get C on the bus. Further sleep did not happen.

The meltdown has continued, however. A few minutes ago, I took her juice up. She became quite angry and made clear she wanted Daddy, not me, to bring her juice. She even came downstairs with the juice, put it in the fridge, declared again that she wanted Daddy, not me to bring her juice, and she would not drink my juice. Then continued the meltdown. Well, now.

She is currently up in her room cooling off.

Meanwhile, C is trying to get out the door. For some reason, he decided today was the day to ask for his allowance (they have to ask for it to get it), and I asked if he had any change for a $20. C goes up stairs and then comes back down in a huff declaring "someone" has "stolen" some money from him in a very accusatory tone. He's sure it's M who has done this, and he wants me to do something about it now. Thing is, M is alseep. But not for long.

I had a brief discussion with C about being careful about throwing around accusations, taking the opportunity to look for the money later and - couldn't help myself - noted that if he kept his things picked up and organized in his room, "losing" money might be less likely to happen.

C went upstairs with a flashlight to look for his money, taking his nasty attitude with him and waking up his brother along the way. Nasty words between the two of them echo down the stairs, and I have to ask each of them to back off and chill out. By this time, of course, C is almost late for the bus and we need to rush him out the door.

As I watch for C to get on the bus from the window, cut back to S. M can't resist teasing her, and does. M tries to play innocent, but there's S's awful 'leave me alone!' voice emanating from her room, not helping the intended cool-off time. Here's where I just about lose my shit. I have had enough.

Somehow I managed to pull back, get back to my cup of coffee and land here. Blogging as therapy, indeed.

It's going to be a long day.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

HUGS!
Our day started early too - considering I am already on here :)
Here's hoping yours gets better!
K