Thursday, May 08, 2008

It Runs in the Family

Dear Neighbor's Mother,

When I saw you at the bus stop this morning ready to put your young grandson on the bus, I was fairly surprised to see you parked on the phlox and juniper at the side of the road. I assumed you didn't realize that you had parked on intentionally installed plant life, your tires crushing about to bloom white blossoms, and wouldn't have if you had realized.

I considered that if I had accidentally parked on plantings, I would want to know. Then I mentioned it.

I do not believe mentioned it in a way that was anything other than an observation of fact. I was careful about making sure my voice had a light tone.

Your response, however, makes me wonder. You looked straight at me and said in a very even tone, "Oh well." And that was it.

Did you park on the plants on purpose? I don't know. I guess it doesn't really matter now, as what is done is done, and they are only plants. But it was a curious exchange.

You know, even though I was the one to purchase and plant all those plants last spring, our entire neighborhood benefits from an attractive bit of landscaping at the entrance to our little road, your daughter and grandchildren included. I'm willing to wager you even enjoy an nice looking entrance to your daughter's neighborhood.

Maybe I should have kept my mouth shut. But, truly, if I had accidentally parked on plants, I would want to know. It was a far different situation from the fall when I watched your grandson pick the buds off the hydrangeas right in front of his mother, thus ensuring no hydrangeas this summer. That was more a parenting issue I didn't want to get into. Perhaps I should have said something then but not today? I don't know.

At least now I know where your daughter and grandchildren get their lovely manners.

Sincerely,

J

2 comments:

Ruthie said...

Your neighbors are assholes.

I'm really sorry. What a bizarre response... "oh well?"

J said...

No argument from you there, Ruthie.