Saturday, May 09, 2009

Wondering What To Do

After falling into bed mentally and physically exhausted - both M and me! - I woke up this morning rather pissed off. As much as I think the surgeon is a good technician, We were not properly informed of what the aftermath/recovery from M's surgery would be or could be. Had I known this, I would have fought the insurance company tooth and nail to have had the procedure done in the OR. The main anesthesia used in the clinic procedure room is not the same as what they use in the OR, and some quick Web searching suggests it was the specific anesthesia that has this effect in pediatric patients.

When my hubby arrived home later last night, we talked about it. He'd never seen anything like that emergence from anesthesia - and he's a physician! He was and is upset about it, too - obviously. We don't quite know what we are going to do, but I feel like we have to do something. I hate to think of other parents going through this.

M is more swollen today and uncomfortable. Some bruising is developing under his eyes and down his cheeks along the nose. Maybe all that would have happened anyway, but I just didn't know! That said, my friend the dental hygienist is horrified by how he looks and by the anesthesia stuff. The doc did say the third day probably would be the worst in terms of swelling. That's tomorrow. Oh, goodness.

3 comments:

Kanga Jen said...

Yow. I've never heard of someone having that hard of a time coming out of anesthesia either. Bruising along his NOSE???? This from just removing a tooth? Poor poor M. It must have been a much more intense surgery than I was thinking. It sounds just horrid. I'm so sorry.

I hope you two have spent mother's day laying around and cuddling.

Happy Mother's Day, btw. You're one of the most awesome mothers I know.

J said...

Yeah, we were totally unprepared for this. I put up a picture of him on FB so you can see what I am talking about. For one stupid little tooth. The bruising and swelling is partly a hereditary issue - I bruise and swell pretty badly (my face was triangular and psychedelic in color after I had my lower wisdom teeth out).

And thanks for the compliment - means a lot coming from you. I'm feeling pretty incompetent on the parenting front right now, given the grumpy teen.

Lynne Thompson said...

I hate that feeling of not being informed...I hope he feels way better today. Hugs to you both, LT