Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Sexism is Alive and Well - and Where I Least Expect It

Coming down after this big writing push has been interesting. The publishing house still hasn't been in touch ("soon" could mean February!), but the name of the book is searchable via Google, so something is being published. (Not on the big book site yet, but some smaller ones - including a "Christian" book site. I think that's a hoot - not that there's anything offensive in the book incompatible with the site, I don't think, but I never imagined it being sold/marketed in that way.) Just wonder what resemblance the final product will have to what I wrote.

I feel like I have a lot to say yet still no time to say it. I'm trying to catch up in so many ways. It felt great to clean my house last Wednesday. But it already needs to be cleaned again. I hate that! Five people and three furry pets will do that.

There's much other organizing and following up and all that to do. And some serious sitting in front of the idiot box and flipping through dumb magazines. It feels SO good to do that.

Anyway, on to the sexism thing.

For years my mother has given me a membership to the local (big) art museum as a birthday gift. She may not call my or otherwise acknowledge my birthday, but she does do this, and that's nice. I always send nice thank you notes (on that good paper, eba).

For several years, she gave me the individual membership, and each year I would pay the additional $25 to add my hubby onto the membership. A couple years ago, Mom clued in and started getting the family membership. Cool.

For all these years, the name on the membership account has been my name on top, and my husband's name with his title on the second line. Appropriate, since the membership is renewed for my birthday.

I was quite surprised this year when we received our new membership cards in the mail. The envelope was addressed to my name followed by my husband's name, but the enclosed letter was addressed to my husband only.

Yup, you read that right, my husband only.

After eight years of membership, I no longer warrant acknowledgment. Nice.

Not that this is a big deal in the big picture - it's not. It's just annoying.

And yes, I have called to voice my displeasure. :-D

2 comments:

eba said...

JCK - so glad you're using the correct paper (wink).

this happened to me recently. I've owned my own house since 1990 - nearly 20 years. Five years ago, we put an addition on and RMP moved in. I put him on the deed. Guess who is now listed first on communications from the town. Hmmph.

Lynne Thompson said...

It *is* annoying and sometimes I tire of calling people on these things, but it's important to voice our concerns. A lot of times it's a lame excuse I get about how they can't fit both names on the computer:-(