Sunday, September 09, 2007

Fancy

My mother is in town. Yes, just two weeks after our trip west, my mother is on this coast. She’s in town for other reasons, but arrived a day early to spend time with us. I invited her to do so. I believe there was good, loving intent all around.

But isn’t it strange how just one word – truly, one word – can change the whole tone of a visit and turn all that good intent and effort upside down?

In this case, the word is “fancy.”

My mother uses the word fancy as a kind of a compliment and an insult all rolled into one. For her to say, “My, what a fancy dress,” means, “Yes, it is a lovely dress, but who do you think you are to deserve to wear such a dress?”

She has used this word to her intended effect on many occasions. It can cut down my sister and brother and me in a heartbeat. Our visit had started quite well, so I thought such comments wouldn’t be an issue. I was feeling relaxed and hopeful.

Last night, after a dinner picnic on the beach, and what I thought was a nice relaxed evening after the kids went to bed, we headed up to bed ourselves. Mom was to sleep in S’s room, while S slept in her Dora sleeping bag in our room. Then, in about 10 seconds, were two “fancy” comments:

Upon walking by the upstairs bathroom, “There’s that fancy floor.” Then, upon walking into S’s room, “My, what fancy sheets.”

What the bathroom floor and S’s sheets look like don’t really matter here. The floor could be cardboard or marble and the sheets burlap or spun gold. This was about control. She was asserting a bit of motherly control over the tone of the visit.

I wanted to curse at her. I didn’t. I didn’t respond at all.

I had been falling asleep on the couch minutes before, but now my mind was racing. How could she? Why did she? How dare she?

Eventually I fell asleep. But slept fitfully.

I know this isn’t really about me. It’s about her issues, not mine. We don’t have much in common, so there isn’t much to talk about. We can’t talk religion (she’s still a Christian Scientist at heart), politics (we’re quite opposite), or family (she thinks she shouldn’t get involved in many issues around my sister), she likes rocks and fossils and I like art and writing and gardening. I like to think I able to accept these differences more than she can: I don’t know why it is this way, but it is. Whatever discomfort or disappointment or regret or whatever she feels about our (lack of) connection manifests itself in these little controlling comments. It’s sad.

It hurts.

This morning I made strawberry pancakes for breakfast and we went to a museum in the afternoon. I dropped her at the hotel she is staying at through Tuesday. I’ll see her tomorrow night at a dinner, and then she’ll fly back west the next morning.

I love my mom. I do. I’m sad about this visit. But maybe seeing one another as much as we have in the last 2-3 weeks (and, really, it's very little compared to many families) is just too much for us. Maybe we just need our respective coasts.

3 comments:

wakeupandsmellthecoffee said...

Have you tried using "fancy" with her? Example: "My, what a fancy hotel." I wonder how she'd react. I do empathize. My mother and I used to last three days before having an argument. I don't argue with her anymore despite her best efforts to bait me.

eba said...

Jen, I'm so sorry about this visit. It sounds deeply disappointing.

As I think you know, my relp with my mother is also difficult and visits are hard. I know that my mother and I will never have the kind of relationship that we both want (to complicate it, we probably want two different things).

Robert sits and observes and claims that it's sad to see us both trying so hard and not getting anywhere. Of course, it doesn't feel like we're both trying, but there you have it.

The cycle of hope and disappointment falls hard and recovery from these cycles takes a while.

I hope that you come to a peaceful place about this visit soon. And I also hope that you take some solace in the magnificent new family that you've had a hand in creating.

You've made tremendous strides towards breaking the patterns that you grew up with and in creating a safe, positive, and loving environment for your entire clan. That is a proud accomplishment. I'm very excited about your childrens' future.

-- e

Anonymous said...

Hugs!!!!!!! I am sorry,
K