Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Impulse Buys

A while back - and I do mean a while, maybe years - I purchased some peppermint extract on impulse at the grocery store. Perhaps it was the holiday season and I thought I would use it in Christmas cookies. I don't know. At any rate, it sat unopened in my cabinet.

Until last weekend, that is, when I randomly decided to add two teaspoons of the stuff to brownie mix.

Yum.

I've been on a baking spree lately. I think it's the turn in the weather: days are cooler and evenings have more of an edge. Last week I made challah, mint brownies on the weekend, chocolate chip cookies today, and probably more mint brownies tonight to contribute to C's class at the Open House tomorrow. I'm dreaming of apple pie and pear pie and cinnamon rolls and sweet potato biscuits.

This is also the time of year that I'm best kept out of cooking stores. A trip to Williams-Sonoma might result in a new cake pan or cookies cutters or a gadget not needed in the least but still lots of fun. Even going to the grocery store is a little risky - I might come home with some ingredient I'll never use.

Like peppermint extract.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well speaking as someone who made two batches of homemade cinnamon rolls for her daughter's birthday party this weekend - along w/lemon yogurt cake - allow me to remind you that they take a LOT of time and effort. I have a newfound appreciation for bakeries!
However I too am finding myself excited to be back in the kitchen for the first time in a while. Must be the change in seasons!
K

wakeupandsmellthecoffee said...

Have you tried apple pear crumb pie? Delicious. I can post the recipe if you're interested. Don't you need a second mortgage to buy from Williams Sonoma?

J said...

K - yes, cinnamon rolls are time-consuming, but so, so yummy. I use this Alton Brown recipe - http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,,FOOD_9936_33873,00.html?rsrc=search - so do part of it the night before (and almost all in the Kitchen Aid) and finish in the AM.

wuastc - apple pear crumb pie sounds wonderful. I'd love the recipe. My favorite pear pie recipe (which I make for Thanksgiving because I don't like pumpkin pie) has crystalized ginger and golden raisins. Mmmm.

And yes, W-S can be pricey. I only go in for targeted purchases - occasionally they have an obscure ingredient or gadget I can't find elsewhere.