Sunday, January 11, 2009

A Movie Recommendation

Last night we watched Helvetica. Yes, a movie about the typeface (or font). I didn't know what to expect, and was very pleasantly surprised. It really has me thinking.

As a technical writer, for years I was lucky enough to really work with typefaces. I had a couple jobs where I had pretty much free reign in choosing typefaces for headings and text in books and for brochures and the like. I really enjoyed that part of the job. I loved thinking about the page layout as much as I enjoyed the challenge of documenting the product. With our industry's move to single-sourcing tools and such, I really don't have that opportunity much any more. I miss it.

Anyway, if you want to see an interesting film about the way a typeface affects and is ubiquitous in our lives, check out this movie.

1 comment:

Kanga Jen said...

Ha, really? I never would have pegged a movie called Helvetica as interesting, but I believe you. ;-)

I did just read something - a Judy Picoult book? - where each voice was represented in a different font. I thought that was interesting.