Saturday, June 23, 2007

A Crack in the Fishbowl

It sounds like a metaphor for serious life stuff, but it's not. There really is a crack in our fishbowl.

Back in March, when C went to the awards reception for the state-wide art program, he came home with two goldfish. Yes, that's right...a small trophy, a certificate and two goldfish.

Their names are "Pasta" and "Noodle." I like to say they have the same name, but in different languages.

Anyway, sometime in the last few weeks the corner/edge of the fishbowl sustained some kind of an impact. It's barely visible, and the fishbowl is not in danger of shattering at any moment. It is, however, leaking just enough to be noticeable. We tried duct tape, but that didn't work - it managed to leak right through. (Maybe just plain more duct tape?) We have a plate under the fishbowl now to catch the leaking water, and empty it every few days. We continue to change the water and feed the fish as usual. Just this ongoing slow leak.

I keep meaning to get to the pet store to get a new bowl, but somehow forget each time I am out running errands. I am hoping that by writing about it now, it will be in the front of my brain a little longer, and I'll remember when I am out later this afternoon.

Pasta and Noodle don't seem to be bothered by it. They just keep swimming along.

2 comments:

Kanga Jen said...

Pasta and Noodle!!! I love it. Did C name them?

And what a weird thing to give as an award. I would not be happy. But by that point there's not much choice. You keep the fish.

BTW, was this Reflections? Yay for C!!!

J said...

Yes, this was Reflections. You should have seen the look on my face. It said, "You mean we have to keep them and care for them?" This after months of telling the kids that the only way they were getting another pet is if they could find one that doesn't poop.

And C and S named them together. It was cute.