Thursday, June 21, 2007

A Day of Firsts

First day of summer.

First day of summer vacation for the kids.

First time I’ve completed the Concept2 Summer Solstice Row (almost a half marathon).

First daytime beach trip. It was a gorgeous day. Gorgeous.

First time S has gone to the beach diaperless.

First time in a new bathing suit for me. This may turn out to be one of those trying-so-hard-to-look-young-that-she-looks-old pieces of apparel, but I AM NOT FORTY YET!

First sea glass of the year.

First time actually getting in the water for the year. It wasn't so bad. It was kinda warm in spots, probably related to it being near low tide. Usually I can't stand to get in until August, but I did today.

First time C took of his shirt at the beach since 2002. Lots of extra sunscreen on the scar.

C told me something interesting today - related to another first. Apparently the first, or one of the first transatlantic telegraph cables terminates in our town. He said he'd point out the cable house tomorrow when we go to the beach.

It was also a day for a last. It was my friend M's last day in town. She and her brood (including six kids, 2 weeks to 13 years) are moving to Texas. I stopped by to give her another hug on the way to the beach. I'm excited for her. I am worried for her. I am going to miss her.

1 comment:

wakeupandsmellthecoffee said...

Well done you for running a half marathon. Sorry to hear about your friend moving. You'll have to keep up to date via email and blogs.