Tuesday, June 03, 2008

The Tally

This would be amusing if it weren't so sad. It is just amazing to watch how people can read the same words and come away with such different opinions of what is being said.

After emailing my letter to the vestry early this morning (12 persons), I have received four emails back.

Number of those emails thanking me for writing? 3

Number of those emails thanking someone else for responding to me? 1

Number of those emails expressing support for the letter and declaring it succinct and clear? 2

Number of emails suggesting I'm being vague? 2

This is going to be very interesting.

2 comments:

wakeupandsmellthecoffee said...

So was the email about J leaving the church or about broader issues you have, J leaving just being one of them? Our church attendance grows smaller every week as the local Methodist church siphons off all the young people (they apparently have a good youth program). But I'm not Methodist.

J said...

It was about broader issues. I tried to identify where I think the disconnect is happening.

J leaving is only a symptom that something much bigger is going on. Honestly, I think I only see the tip of the iceberg.

In less than a year, attendance has dropped off by over 30% and incoming pledges are off budget by about 25%. People are voting with their feet and their checkbooks. For a parish that had the second largest church school in the diocese and was held up as an example of growth, this is striking.