Sunday, February 04, 2007

Damn, That Kid is Lucky

Yesterday afternoon my nephew had surgery to remove a blood clot between his brain and his skull. The surgeon felt strongly about doing it because he wanted to be sure there was no active bleed. There was more swelling than expected, however, so they placed a drain and replace the bone flap.

My sister was with him as he came out of anesthesia and was able to talk to him a bit.

This morning they were able to removed the drain and transferred him from the ICU to the regular floor. I am not clear on whether he is on a pediatric floor or an adult floor.

Today, CL, as I'll call him, is more with it. Has a little more memory each time he wakes up from a nap as to where he is and why. He's in a lot of pain as he also has a bruising and straining/spraining of his back and a broken ankle. Not to mention a headache.

My sister is happy with his doctors. They have yet to discuss long term impact of this injury.

The reality of it all is just starting to hit my sister, and I am worried for her. My health took a beating (weight loss, minimal sleep, etc.) when my C was sick, and she and I respond similarly to things.

I called my dear friend who happens to be a pediatric neuro-oncologist (there should be a photo of her next to "saint" in the dictionary) and asked her about things we should expect. It's scary. Of course, he's very lucky already to be where he is compared to what could have happened. That luck may continue - but I am somewhat prepared to help my sister talk through the other possibilities should they arise.

CL will be in the hospital at least a week. The fall out will last much longer, of course. Been there, done that.

Kiss your babies.

2 comments:

Ruthie said...

I'll pray for a swift and full recovery... his mother must be a mess.

J said...

Thanks, Ruthie. I/we appreciate it.