Monday, February 26, 2007

Weird Things My Husband and I Have in Common

Sometimes the strangest things pop into my head. I don't know where this came from or why today, but I was thinking about how my husband and I both have shattered sliding glass doors with our bodies.

When I was about 12, I was at a friend's bar mitzvah party. The family had recently moved into a new house and everything was pristine for the celebrations. I remember walking across their back patio to go find the bathroom off the kitchen. The next thing I remember is lying on the ground with my friend's mother standing over me and seeing that the glass door was in shards.

I was very lucky that I didn't get hurt more than that. I was just stunned. Hitting the glass, falling and realizing what was happening took just seconds.

My husband, however, has several scars from his encounter. He was around 11 or 12, I think. It was a glass door at his family's house in Florida, and his mother was cleaning, cleaning, cleaning because they were about to fly off to Denmark for his father's sabbatical year. He had a number of stitches in his knee, among other scratches, and of course the door had to be replaced. My husband's family switched around tickets so my husband, who was supposed to fly sooner with one parent, actually flew later with the other parent.

He's also very lucky he wasn't hurt more than that.

And we are both proponents of leaving large glass doors less than perfectly clear.

No comments: