Friday, March 30, 2007

Had I Been So Inclined…

If I had been at all interested in baseball while still in high school, and specifically interested in high school baseball, I could have seen hot prospect pitch. Same city, same year in high school, same league, etc.

But I wasn’t, and I didn’t.

It wasn’t until C was small that I was at all interested in baseball, and it was his interest that brought me along. He asked to be a “baseball man” for Halloween the first October we lived in the south. I made sure he was the correct kind of baseball man (based on birthplace). We went to many games at the local minor league park down there, and even had his 5th birthday party there just a couple of months before we bolted back north.

When C was sick, the season had just started, and we put baseball on the television in the PICU room as much as we could. We’d talk the game to him while trying to ignore the beeps on the ventilator. We could zone out a little and interact with him all at once. And once C was home, watching games together during his recovery was an enjoyable couple of hours amid the stress of drug withdrawal and various therapists.

I think it was that spring that I became a true fan.

Opening day is just three days away. I’ve cleaned our hats for the occasion, made sure the boys have their favorite team shirts ready.

Let it begin.

Oh, and that hot prospect is pitching.

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

I read your comment to Meredith's post on airplane stories and wanted to tell you that you shouldn't feel bad. If that mom was breastfeeding, chances are the baby never go the chicken pox. And even if the baby did, infectious diseases like that tend to be extremely mild in infancy.

When Jack was six or seven months old we had dinner with a group of friends. A little boy who had played with Jack the entire evening came down with chicken pox the next day. Jack didn't get it, but my husband did! Jack ended up catching it from his dad, and it was such a light case that he didn't even have a fever. And now it's done with. I can cross that one off the list, and it's almost a blessing. His father was so so sick! Better young than old.

J said...

Thanks for your comment. I guess it's a mama guilt thing. I had no idea my son had been exposed!