Wednesday, May 02, 2007

Bloom

It's finally the week of bursting spring green here in my neighborhood. It's been almost there for so long that we thought it would never happen. Deciduous trees and shrubs are leafing out, daffodils are out in force, the vinca is blooming.

Here's what I am seeing at my house.

Crocus is gone. But before it went away, this was out my back door:



Daffodils are all around. One one street in town there are thousands. They have been planted in recent years as a memorial to a local woman. They are breathtaking.



The vinca groundcover is a carpet of these teeny flowers:



In the front are the andromeda and the azalea. When the tree at the end of the drive blooms, I'm definitely putting up a photo here.





Finally, there's the magnolia in back. When we moved into this house, it was scrawny. The first spring gave us maybe seven or eight blooms. We took down some trees to give the poor thing more light (and for the planting bed back there), and look at it now!




I can't help but smile.