Monday, May 07, 2007

Expanding Vocabularies (Or, Be Careful What You Say in Front of the Children)

S said something fairly random in the car today. She said, "My nose feels queasy." Clearly her vocabulary is expanding, even if she doesn't use all words correctly all the time.

It reminded me of a moment several years back, I think even before C was sick, or maybe just after. Let me preface this by saying I do watch my tongue in front of the children, but like all children, mine seem to hear even when we think they are not nearby, and we all slip up now and again and say something perhaps we shouldn't have.

So...we're in the car driving somewhere. M starts saying, quietly, "Damn it."

I perk up my ears. He says it again, "Damn it." I consider how to proceed appropriately while making a mental note to be even more careful in front of the boys.

"Sweetie," I say, "What's going on? Why are you saying that? Is something wrong?"

C chimes in, "Yeah, M, we don't say that."

I breathe sigh of relief. I feel smug for a moment, and full of pride for C.

Then C adds, "We say 'God damn it.'"

It was all I could do not to burst our laughing right then and there. M trying out some new words. C in his earnestness, trying to help teach M appropriate behavior. Yet all gone wrong.

2 comments:

Lynne Thompson said...

How did you not lose it? Priceless, hysterical. You just can't make this stuff up. --LT

Anonymous said...

Ha!!!! My guy says "damage!" Only we know what he's really trying to say.
K