Tuesday, November 13, 2007

A Rare Disappointment, Gastronomically Speaking

We usually eat pretty well around here. We have a repertoire of recipes we rotate through, and it works pretty well. Usually it's pretty balanced. It has been getting a little rote, though.

On Sunday as I was preparing the weekly menu and shopping list, my husband handed me a recipe for an Asian inspired beef and noodle dish. It's looked fine - just fine. I figured sure, I'll give it a try. Some of the ingredients seemed a little interesting, but there have been other times I've looked cross-ways at a recipe only to have it become a favorite.

So I made it tonight - and it was horrible. I could barely eat it, and so wasn't about to insist the kids were clean plate rangers. I checked the recipe, wondering if I had missed an ingredient or a step, but no.

The more surprising part to me was the recipe's source - it was from a Christopher Kimball publication, and usually those recipes are good ones (even if he is a pompous windbag at times).

Does this ever happen to you? Try something new and it's awful? I'd love to hear stories of failed meals. I've had some in my day, to be sure.

So here I sit, completely unsatisfied with what I ate for dinner, and not many leftovers in the fridge to pick through. Might be time for a peanut butter sandwich.

No comments: