Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Stupid, Stupid Dryer

When we moved into this house almost seven years ago, we had to buy a new washer and dryer. Although the existing washer and dryer had been included in the purchase and sale agreement, the husband moved them out and was willing to blow the whole sale at the closing table over that washer and dryer. Nice guy. No wonder his wife was divorcing him.

The washer and dryer we bought at that time were fairly low-end and basic, but relatively energy efficient. The washer died two years ago, necessitating purchasing a new one, but since washers and dryers don't need to match (in spite of claims to the contrary from some clique-y women in this town), we decided to keep the dryer as is.

Over the years this dryer has intermittently ruined a few things. The drum doesn't fit uniformly all the way around, so tags and zipper pulls occasionally get caught. I've never been able to identify a pattern, so each of us has at least one item of clothing that used to have a zipper.

Last week, on what would have been a work day, I spent a couple hours cleaning out the closet in the boys room (I figure since I have this time, I might as well use it to good effect around the house). It had been so long since I'd done that, I discovered that C actually had only one sweatshirt that fit him. Oops. I readily admit that since S was born, I have much more fun with her wardrobe so the boys are occasionally wanting for some items, but I didn't think it had gotten that bad!

I felt fairly embarrassed for a while. I also remembered that C had a gift certificate for the place where he takes sailing lessons for...a fleece sweatshirt. I congratulated myself for remembering that, then found the actual certificate.

The next day, I took C over to pick out a fleece. He chose a black zip-up fleece. He loves it - and I think you know where this is going now.

C wore the fleece twice and I washed it yesterday. This morning when I opened up the dryer, a zipper pull fell out. Crap. I didn't immediately suspect the new one because there were two black zip up fleeces in there: C's and one of my husband's. But then I started pulling items out.

Yup, the new fleece. Ruined.

Stupid, stupid dryer.

3 comments:

Kanga Jen said...

Poor little C!!!
Is he going to get another fleece sweatshirt? :-)

eba said...

All I can say is:
http://www.stuffonmycat.com/index.php?itemid=6914

J said...

I think I'll try to get a new zipper put on this one. He'll need at least one more anyway, but can be Old Navy or whatever. :-)