Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Before and After

The other day I realized that when I think about various events in our life, I think of them in terms of whether they occurred before or after C was sick.

Before: My dad getting sick. K moving to town. Re building the front steps. Finishing the quilt for the living room wall. Innocence. Naivete.

After: My dad dying. My brother and his family visiting. Learning to surf. Rebuilding the rock wall along the driveway. S. Understanding that it could all be gone in a heartbeat.

About some things around that time, I am incredibly superstitious. For example, there's this one restaurant a couple of towns north. Our area isn't known for a plethora of decent dining opportunities, so decent restaurants tend to be latched onto with vigor. We had takeout from that restaurant the Saturday night before C became ill. I still cannot eat there, almost four years later.

It makes no sense. None. I know that restaurant has no relationship to C's illness. It had no bearing whatsoever. Heck, I can look back on photos from that weekend and see that C was already a bit unwell. But still, I can't go back there.

About other things, it's just a strong association and the difficult memories. For example, C and M have been asking to go skiing for a couple of years now. The last time we went skiing was - you guessed it - in the weeks before C became ill. In this case, it's more the memory than an aversion to skiing. Heck, I miss skiing, too, but it's freaking expensive taking a family of five to the slopes, and when two of the family members likely won't even make it onto the slopes (S and a parent), it sounds less appealing. I don't want to drive four hours to sit in a skanky lodge. But that last ski trip was great, and I had pictures from it up in C's ICU room. For days when C was in critical condition, I was afraid those were our last family pictures. That's a hard memory to get over. We're trying to plan a ski trip now, someplace where S can go to a little ski school so we all can get some enjoyment out of it. I find myself hampered by memories. Fears.

It's ridiculous, I know. Truly. I know.

A project I was involved in leading up to the time C was ill was running the PTA Reflections program for his school. I was an art major in college so I figured I should do something art-related in my volunteer work at the school. There was little that was artistic about the job - all bureaucracy (bureauCRAZY) and suburban housewife politics. Ick. C didn't even participate. But I completed the project and sent some interesting student artwork off to the state program (where it languished, but that's a whole 'nother story). I finished up the final paperwork and report to the PTA council the week before C became ill.

This year, for the first time, C decided to enter a piece in the Reflections program, and I've been bombarded by those little memories with "before he was sick" attached to them. This afternoon I picked up messages at home and C's piece has been selected to go on to the state level. The message also asks if we can make it to a little reception for all the participants on Friday afternoon. I remember doing that. Before, of course.

I'm thrilled for C. He's going to be pleased when I pick him up this afternoon. Yet I cannot shake this whole association with his illness.

This before and after thing is my own private hell.

4 comments:

Kanga Jen said...

J!!
I know you, don't I? Aren't you the J I think you are? If so then HELLO! I think that it is awesome that you're writing a blog. I think of you and C (??C??)'s illness often and wonder how you're doing. I hope you are OK with my reading it...

Other J

J said...

Yeah, it's me. 'Course it's okay you are reading. I wouldn't have commented on your blog while signed in otherwise! It's taking me a bit to get comfortable in this medium, so only slowly linking out...

C for his family nickname. Likewise M and S. :-)

Kanga Jen said...

J, what a poignant post. It's not ridiculous. How else could you be expected to see the world around such a life-altering event? Of course you think of everything with respect to that. Right now.

Do you ever get tired of cliches like how time softens things? Maybe it's true just a little bit? Not so much that it heals, but maybe it will wear down some of the sharp edges? Or not.

In any case, you are dealing with life and its ups and down and sine curves in just the way you need to and at the speed you need to. Be gentle. :-)

J said...

Well, cliche or not, it is true that time softens things. I can see that, know that. But it's relative, of course - it depends on how razor sharp the thing is to begin with.

Time, time, time...it takes time. And it takes that time even though I am so thankful that he is okay now. Thankful every moment of every day.