Friday, January 26, 2007

Just Can't Go There

Over the next few months, expect more posts relating to C's illness four years ago. I am trying to head off what happened last year, when, during the approach to the anniversary of his illness, I became extremely angry, almost debilitatingly so. I must process this in a more constructive manner. For my sake, for C's sake, for everyone's.

For the last day or so, I have been remembering reaction to C's illness, specifically the reaction of friends after the worst of it was over.

We were extremely fortunate to have the support of many family and friends during and immediately after the illness. However, there were some people - people to whom we had been quite close at one time - who somehow didn't get called or whatever during the crisis. That wasn't intentional. My brain wasn't exactly working right.

Immediately after C came home, we decided to apply our efforts to raising money for the hospital as part of a fundraising walk. Ironically, my husband and I had discussed participating prior to C's illness, but now it meant so much more to us. We took out the Christmas card list, wrote a letter about what had just happened and about the walk, and sent it out.

After the letters went out, we had many, many calls and cards of support, and significant financial contributions for the walk. It was a lovely outpouring. I'm still touched by it, and so pleased we could give back to the hospital so soon after they did so much for us. (And we continue to participate in the walk every year - more on that in May or so.)

Interestingly, we realized that there were several couples/families from whom we never heard a word. People we had been close (or closer) to. And in each case, C's illness seems to have been the catalyst to the relationship becoming a Christmas-card only relationship, in spite of later attempts at further contact by us.

It's sad, but I think I understand it.

What happened to C was beyond scary. Facing what happened means accepting the impermanence of life and how fragile it all is. It's a hard thing to think about. And thinking about it, for some people, means accepting that fragility in one's own life. I can see how one would not want to go there. The idea that a healthy, active 7 year old boy could be struck down so quickly and critically by (probably) a germ that is around us all the time...well, are you squirming in your seat thinking about it? I am.

So we have let these relationships go. It's sad, but it's okay. I respect them. Perhaps, if it I had been in their shoes, I would have reacted similarly. I don't know.

There are also a few people who think that we should be over this whole illness thing already - and have said some truly dumb things to that end. Hey, there's not one who would like to be "over" it more than me, but, as I have learned, it just doesn't work that way.

I am thankful everyday for the life and health of C, and the life and health of everyone in my family - but C's illness changed us. I remember bringing him home from the hospital, looking at the family pictures on the wall, and thinking, "Who are those people? I don't know them."

In addition to the process of recovery for C (some aspects of which took years - and some bits of which are ongoing), we had to heal as a family. We had to build a new foundation as we grieved for the innocence we lost when the code was being called in the hospital. And grief is a process. For months my husband I both cried every day. We felt fragile for so very long even as we need to be strong for our boys.

We don't dwell on this at home. I think we've done a good job of moving the kids and the family forward. It may seem like I focus on this issue all the time, but I really don't.

Clearly, I am not "over" it, much as I or others might like me to be. But like the friends with whom we have lost closeness, I respect the situation. For them to understand why it is not "over" would mean that they would have to face and understand what those weeks in the hospital and the process of C's recovery have meant.

And I don't wish that on anyone.

3 comments:

Ruthie said...

uorComing close to losing a child isn't something you get over.

"Facing what happened means accepting the impermanence of life and how fragile it all is. "

Yes... I know precisely what you mean. All of us come to that ultimate conclusion sometime or another. Some people willfully ignore it or live in ignorance of it. Some people bury it.

It's a peculiar thing when people whom you think are your friends behave so coldly to you. It's inexcusable and unacceptable (to me) to have "friends" who don't respond to your heartfelt attempts to reach out to them. Who needs friends like that?

Kanga Jen said...

Oh J.
These are the kinds of things that "happen to someone else." It was hard enough for me to admit that it happened to someone I knew. But for it to happen to my own child? Well. I can tell you honestly that I cannot fully understand what you have gone through and are still going through. I can understand the slap in the face of impermance (without the child connection). My husband's brother was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer and died all within 3 months last year. To be forced to recognize that life was, in fact, completely impermanent just totally sucked. To watch your brother in law withering away yet tell your children to not give up hope - that he was confident he'd survive? It Sucked. To have your child involved? I have no words. That's a whole level I can't possibly go to (as the title of
your post says).

((hugs))

I don't know what to say to you. I can't say that "time will heal", though maybe it will soften. I can't tell you to "enjoy what you have" because you know all too well that nothing can be counted on. We're being tossed around by the currents of life's stream, and it'd be nice to say we're good to learn to let it take us wherever it may, but when we have children involved, all bets are off.

I hope you write a lot about your experience, because I suspect you are at the place where you need to think it out. I'll listen (read).

And Whatever you feel, however you decide to deal with it, I'm right there with you nodding my head and telling you that you're doing the right thing. You've been to hell, and I can't pretend to understand.

Wish I could help - and I wish I could give "c" a big hug as the anniversary comes up. Give him one for me...

J said...

Thanks, Ruthie and J. This process is peculiar, I'll tell you that.

Ruthie - I don't know that these friends were necessarily acting coldly, but I think they were acting out of fear. We keep the door open because they were great friends at one time and it feels short-sighted to shut the door forever. Like Pantheist Mom says - we're tossed around by life's currents. Maybe someday some day their current will bring them closer to us in the stream again.

PM, I'm so sorry to hear about DH's brother. Pancreatic is particularly awful. How are his parents? Because that was something that I thought about in the hospital - in the cycle of life one rather understands that one will probably have to face the death of a parent one day, and possibly/probably a sibling. But a child? It's not supposed to happen that way. It's just not.

My DH said once that we actually didn't go through Hell. We went to the edge and peered over into the vast abyss, but were pulled back. Hell would have been actually losing him, losing a child. Your DH's parents have that Hell to contend with. And for all I saw and experiences, I can't go "there." Hug them, hold them.

It's good that I can finally write on this. For so long it was tied up with my dad's death (just a month after, don't know if you remember that). Still a lot of icky stuff to sort through.

Thanks for everything.