Thursday, January 18, 2007

Suburban Code

There are certain understandings among the women in my town. One has to do with Tupperware-type parties.

You know, the type of “party” that is really meant to sell you something which you may or may not need. Tupperware, Southern Living at Home, Mary Kay, just to name a few.

The understanding is that, unless you are going through a major financial crisis or the cost of the items is utterly ridiculous, you will, if invited to such a party, purchase at least one something. A token. It is further understood that you are not to be invited to more than a couple of these parties per product line in any given year, unless you are an enthusiastic devotee.

I have adhered to this code, and I have some crap to prove it. Heck, someday in the future, I may need the support of these same women in my own business venture. I appreciate what they are trying to do.

In October I received an invitation to a Mary Kay party. An acquaintance in town had just started selling it and her neighbor was throwing a party to help her along. I responded that I would come. I went. I made a small purchase (sunscreen).

A day after this party, I received an invitation to a Mary Kay “skin care class” on a Friday morning November – same seller, different neighbor. As it was an opportunity for S to play with a friend, I agreed to go. This time I bought some lip balm.

I have subsequently received invitations to two additional Mary Kay parties. Same seller. Four parties in four months. That is so against code.

I also received several phone calls from this seller, telling me about some “great new products” that are "just up my alley."

I have done my duty. I have no interest in the line, but have purchased my token

Enough already. Were it not for other aspects of suburban code, I might say something. As it is, our children ride the same bus, our husbands are friendly, and it’s a freaking small town. I did create some convenient excuses not to attend the later parties.

But I’ll tell you what. This Mary Kay seller went straight to the top of my list for people to hit up for donations for the walk we do for the hospital every year. I’m sure she’ll make a nice contribution.

Just wish what I spent on that sunscreen and lip balm were tax-deductible!

3 comments:

Kanga Jen said...

Oh - the code has definitely been violated. How much sunscreen and lip balm can one woman need?

I was recently invited to one of these "friends" parties - for Silpada jewelry. O.M.G. We were no longer talking about a token purchase. I did end up buying a necklace and earrings for a very NON-trivial cost. Although I did actually like the pieces and have been wearing them a lot, I still felt the whole friendship thing had been a little misused. Maybe it was my bad for not realizing this was expensive stuff, but still. I went because it was presented as a mixed house-warming, jewelry party. Bleah.

I do like Pampered Chef, though.

J said...

At least Pampered Chef is useful stuff! I have a loaf pan I use almost weekly.

I hear you on the Silpada parties. I've been asked to a couple of those. Sometimes I feign having forgotten my checkbook, silly me! Then take a big swig of wine.

More delicate to navigate are the truly homemade product lines. They run the gamut. A purse party, for example, and the little bag I purchased was made badly - one handle only half attached. On the other hand, the mother of one of M's friends makes some really lovely jewelry (www.simplybeads.net).

Ruthie said...

Mary Kay "parties" drive me nuts. They tend to be so cult-like.

The really worst part is when they try to recruit you as a Junior Mary Kay Lady for their pyramid scheme. It took me months to get rid of one particularly determined one.