Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Yeah, That Was Silly, and The Best Cooking Show

So. No suggestions for a new bag. I'm not surprised. It was a silly topic.

As it happens I found cool little number at TJMax this morning. While it doesn't address my desire for color (it's black), it's sleek, modern, and made of buttery soft leather. I've looked in vain for a photo of it on the 'net, but I did find a site for the company in Spain that makes it. Lupo of Barcelona. I got an excellent, excellent price on it. TJMax is awesome (and sister store Marshall's).

Of course, this evening comes the news that the computers of TJMax and Marshall's parent company were hacked and an unknown amount of customer information, including credit card data, has been compromised. Great.

We've been through this three times in the last year with other companies. Please no. Please not again.

I've decided the firmly stick my head in the sand on the above issue and talk about my favorite cooking show: Good Eats.

Ever watched Good Eats? With the quirky, geeky host Alton Brown? Science mixed with tasty grub.

Now, I enjoy cooking, but I enjoy watching cooking shows even more. Ina Garten, Giada Delaurentis, Emeril, Paula Deen. Well, Rachel Ray and Sandra Lee, not so much. But I watch A LOT of the Food Network.

From Good Eats, I finally learned to make good pancakes. Before Good Eats, I was trying to make donuts apparently (see "Flap Jack Do It Again"). I make pretty good fried chicken ("Fry Hard II: The Chicken"), cinnamon rolls ("House of the Rising Bun"), and many other things, all thanks to this show. I have started to collect the Good Eats DVDs and have been known to row to certain episodes for "motivation" (see "Art of Darkness III").

If it's on Good Eats, my there's a chance the food in question will cross my children's lips. A few days ago, C even said he'd be willing to try okra ("Okraphobia").

Okra.

I almost took his temperature to see if he was ill. This is the boy who will not ingest potatoes unless they are in the french fry or chip form. No mashed potatoes. No latkes. No au gratin.

Last week C also wrote a letter to Alton Brown to ask about possibly purchasing a prop from one of the pie episodes (see "A Pie in Every Pocket"). I don't know if he'll ever really get a response (or if acquiring this prop is at all realistic on his allowance), but he had a lot of fun writing the letter and asking.

It's truly a show we all enjoy. So - if you haven't seen it - go find it....you will not be disappointed.

2 comments:

Kanga Jen said...

Too funny! We are humongous Altan Brown fans. We have at least 6 of his DVDs and gather around the TV every night at 7 for the show. We all love how he explains WHY not to sear your roast before popping it in the oven, or the science behind how to make a perfect hamburger.

Ultimately, I want his job.

From one family of geeks to another - bon appetite! :-)

PS - No help on the bag because I am a hopeless fashion failure. I figure I'm doing well if the zipper on my bag isn't broken.

J said...

Wow - you're fast!

Of couse, I was writing while watching Good Eats.