Sunday, March 22, 2009

An Appreciation

This movie has been repeating on the pay channels a lot lately. It's one of those sweet, mildly sappy movies that's easy to watch, and not just because of this guy. Even though I could watch it just for that guy. I could.

But whenever I watch it, or a part of it, I end up thinking about Michael Hedges. Man, I miss that guy.

Don't know Michael Hedges? You should. Don't hold his association with the quintessential new age record company against him. This guy rocked. He died way, way, way too soon.

If you've seen the movie, the technique of using the guitar almost as a percussion instrument and resulting unique hybrid sound is all Hedges. In fact, one of the compositions in the film is his. That technique is just the tip of the Hedges musical iceberg, though.

You should go check Hedges out on YouTube. Like, now. Then go download tracks from iTunes - or go old school like me and get some CDs.

Go!

No comments: