Monday, March 09, 2009

Weird People

I was just thinking about the comment Lynne left me on this post. People ARE so weird sometimes.

In 2000, we were still living down south. We lived in a complex of apartments and townhouses, and there were two other families in our little row with kids in the same general age range. We were all friendly, but not close. Our kids played out back together - four little boys running around (M was an infant). It was cute and pleasant.

When it came time for C's party that year, he wanted a space theme. I found glow-in-the-dark fabric paint for the kids to make themselves tshirts (on navy tshirts), and some inexpensive spacecraft themed flying toys from this company for something for the kids to take home. We invited the neighbors, of course, as well as C's preschool buddies and some other friends. I made sure that all the items were appropriately "aged" for the kids who had them, yet still kept a close eye on everyone. The party was a big hit. Everyone went home happy. End of story, right?

Wrong.

About a week later, one of the neighbors called. Her name was Jessica.

Jessica: Hi, it's Jessica. I wanted to let you know about something.

Me: Okay.

Jessica: You know that flying toy you gave away at C's party?

Me: Yes.

Jessica: Well, Zachary (3) took it apart, and the metal piece that was in the middle was on our living room carpet. Yesterday morning, he tripped and landed on that metal piece, and it cut his face near his eye. It came very close to puncturing his eye.

Me: Oh no! Is Zachary okay? Did he have to get stitches?

Jessica: He's fine. He was very lucky. I just wanted you to know that it was the toy you supplied that did this to him.

Me: I'm so sorry. I never dreamed that could happen. Is there something I can do?

Jessica: No. I just wanted you to know. That it was a toy you gave him.

And that was it.

What. The. Fuck. Of course I felt badly, was upset about Zachary being hurt, but what was all that about? Clearly I was being blamed - but I think wrongly so. The toy was in their house, under their supervision, and their son had taken it apart. I think it was a really unfortunate accident with a very lucky outcome for Zachary. He did end up with a small scar near his eye. I still feel bad this kid was injured and is scarred, but I don't think I'm to blame

I tried to imagine a scenario it which that exchange would be valid, and I was at a loss. I still am. My sister joked to me at the time that it's like an adult contacting a gift giver and saying something like, "Hey, Mary, you know that knife set that you gave us for our wedding? John used it to stab the neighbor. Just wanted you to know." That's a bit extreme for a comparison, granted, but still.

Jessica never talked to me again. We lived two doors down from her for another 15 months, and never a word, and she would barely let our kids interact. The other neighbor, also with kids and who had been at the party, was close to Jessica, and opted not to speak to me for that length of time either. What. Ever. This was very confusing for C, however.

About six months later, Jessica's older son had a birthday party at their house. C clearly had not been invited - not that I would have expected him to be given how things had been, but it was a potentially awkward situation. I realized what was going on the day of the party and had quickly made plans to take C (and M) out of the neighborhood when Tony, Jessica's husband called. He tried to invite C to the party, said they'd intended to invite him all along and so sorry for the delay in calling and won't he be able to come. No, we have other plans, I said. And we left the neighborhood and had a great afternoon at the local science museum with other friends.

I admit I flipped off their door when I drove past it for the last time. Not particularly mature, I know. But it felt kind of good.

2 comments:

Kanga Jen said...

O.M.G. The phone call and the blame for the toy are BEYOND weird. What was the point? Did she expect you to break down in tears? She got an apology (which was awfully nice of you, considering you did nothing wrong), but apparently even that's not what she was after. Weird weird weird. I'm glad she's not your neighbor anymore and that she was properly saluted when you left, lol.

Lynne Thompson said...

WTF? So weird, yet vaguely familiar:-) My MIL does this often. She has a tone and she will enjoy telling me that ANYTHING I vaguely was involved in, suggested, gave her or was standing near didn't work out, broke, hurt her, or didn't pan out and IT"S MY FAULT. What hurts me most about your story is the shunning of the kids. So mature.