Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Astounding

Just yesterday I mentioned the police department and their strong-arm fundraising tactics.

They called again a few minutes ago. I wasn't going to answer because it came up a blocked number, but M answered and handed it to me.

I told the guy that I would not give them any more money until they presented themselves in a wholly transparent and respectable manner.

He tried to tell me I could drop off a check. I said, no, you didn't hear me, and repeated that until they presented themselves transparently - including letting phone numbers through - and respectably when they show up at residents homes, I will not give them more money.

Then he hung up on me.

Yup, hung up on me.

I left a message for the chief of police on this. I don't expect it to help any, but really, it was so unprofessional, especially when an organization wants charitable donations in tough economic times.

3 comments:

eba said...

I always consider it a personal victory when I get a telephone solicitor to hang up on me. I'm excruciatingly polite to them, too. hmph.

Lynne Thompson said...

You could not be more right. And I can't help but think he responded to a female voice that way:-(...pursue it, you are right!! LT

Anonymous said...

You know, I HATE IT when the police or firefighters call for $. First of all, at least here, they always open with "this call is being recorded for your protection." Fine - but to me, that makes it sound as though they are actually calling from the fire or police station - which we know they are not! It's some call center. Then, I hate the very concept of people who we trust to protect us, and know where we live, looking for handouts. It feels somehow medeval. I always say "my husband is in law enforcement too, and doesn't make enough money for us to give away." And I always get hung up on, and feel mad for a while after.
So you go get them!