Friday, September 05, 2008

EpiPen Nation

I was so careful when the kids were small and I was introducing foods. I crossed my fingers and held my breath, hoping we would not have food allergy issues. I breathed a sigh of relief with each non-reaction. I thought we had dodged that bullet.

This summer C reported a strange feeling in his throat after eating some of our favorite steamed shrimp.

I think you know where this is going.

I had him tested a few days ago, just to be safe. Yup, he's allergic.

We're going to head off to an allergist soon for a more complete workup, and prescriptions for EpiPens have been faxed to the local pharmacy.

This should not be an onerous issue (we have shrimp only rarely), but it is a new set of issues on which to educate all of us.

1 comment:

wakeupandsmellthecoffee said...

At least now you know and can be vigilant before an anaphalactic episode occurs. I had a severe allergic reaction to an antibiotic many years ago. I will never forget it.