Sunday, October 05, 2008

An Appropriateness Issue

We've had fun watching a whole lot of post-season baseball this weekend. I was sad to see the Cubbies go (though I have mixed feelings about Lou Pinella given his years in Tampa), sad to see the Brewers go (with Gabe Kapler there, their silly mascot - and that my mom spent a large part of her childhood there), psyched to see the White Sox step up, and now am biting my nails through the game about 35 miles north of here (and so pleased at my boyfriend's performance thus far - I was rooting for a grand slam in the 2nd, but I'll take that 3 run bloop).

What I am NOT enjoying is the commercials for V*agra, C*alis, and "Z*ck and M*ri Make a P*rno" (asterisks to try to fool search engines into not showing up here).

I mean, really. Are such ads appropriate for a Sunday afternoon? Am I doomed to explain what a "p*rno" is to my 4 and 8 year olds? And e**ctile dysfunction, too? I understand that there are plenty of target consumers among baseball fans, for both pharmaceutical products and the movie, but there are families watching, too.

And let me tell you - I really like Kevin Smith movies! Dogma, for all it's crassness, was also really rather smart - and a wicked piece of satire. Clerks, Mallrats, Chasing Amy - they are all well-done movies. OKay Jay and Silent Bob strike back can go to the dumpster, and I never bothered with Jersey Girl, but for the most part, he's a director I respect. This movie may well be a decent movie, but it's subject matter isn't appropriate for family-time advertising.

So I've been really quick with the remote, but I hate that I have to be. I just wanna watch some baseball.

No comments: