Sunday, October 19, 2008

The Looks on People's Faces

At this very moment, I am sitting in the parking lot at church. C and M had to be here early for choir and my husband is taking S to a birthday party. I had extra time, so I brought my laptop and am trying to catch up on a few things, mooching off the church's wireless in the process.

A family (that I barely know) pull in beside me. Now, these are tight parking spaces, but with a little finesse it's possible to get in just fine. I did. I have a larger vehicle. But even if you are exactly centered in the space, you need to take care getting out. Even if you have a compact car. You just do. And this is true for every single space in the lot.

So the woman in the passenger side opens her door hard, ramming it into my car. My whole car shakes. I look up. The woman doesn't see me - yet. She steps out of the car - her car door still pushing hard on my car.

Then she sees me.

I smile broadly.

She gets that "Oh, shit!" look on her face.

Then she smiles weakly and mouths, also weakly, "Sorry."

I nod.

I look down again and keep at my stuff.

People get such looks on their faces when you catch them doing something they know they should not be doing.

On that note, time to go into the service.

1 comment:

Lynne Thompson said...

I'm going to risk sounding a little crazy here and say that this kind of behavior is part of what is wrong with our country. People need to strive to do the right thing *even when they think no one is looking*. GRRRR LT