Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Not a Political Post

Surprise! No politics today. Maybe I'm burning out?

First, to follow up: that boy who was injured on Friday? He's going to be okay. Phew, phew, and phew.

Between that and M's annual cardiologist visit tomorrow, I'm a tad anxious around kid health issues.

We haven't seen M's regular cardiologist since last year's visit in which he declared the status quo, much to our relief. We also haven't seen him since he handed my husband a prescription for an ace inhibitor for M in the hallway with little explanation a few weeks later and the subsequent 2nd opinion visit with another cardiologist (who declared the status quo, so no meds for M thus far).

Had a very interesting conversation with my mom on Sunday. We're in different worlds, really.

So mid-afternoon, my niece calls M to wish him a Happy Birthday. I hear snippets of conversation over the course of several minutes. Then M comes in and hands the phone to me. I ask if he has talked to both his cousins and his aunt and uncle. He says yes, and that it's actually Grandma on the phone. Oh, okay. My mom is visiting my brother and his family for the afternoon. Cool.

So I say hello and my mother proceeds to talk at me for ten minutes or so, not letting me get much in other than, "Yeah," and, "Uh huh." This is par for the course with her.

Then she says, "It was so nice of M to call me."

Me, after pausing a moment: "M didn't call you. A called M for his birthday."

Mom: "Oh, yes, his birthday is around this time, isn't it. I just assumed he tried to call me at home and when I wasn't there, he was smart to guess that I was here."

All I could say was, "Oh."

We hung up the phone shortly thereafter. I sat there for a few moments wondering what the heck had just happened. My mother and sister are both so good at making absolutely everything about them. Wow.

Oh, and at the moment, this issue with the music company just might work out in my favor. We'll see.

1 comment:

Kanga Jen said...

First - Happy birthday to M!!!!!

That whole cardiologist incident was a YEAR ago??!!!

J, that is very strange about your mom indeed. Speaking of your family, how is that wonderful nephew of yours??