Friday, November 21, 2008

An argument for cooler heads

The economy sucks. It does. No two ways about it.

However, I think there's something to say about the role of the media in fanning the flames. I think the media is helping to make the already tough situation worse. Cooler heads need to prevail.

It's obvious that things could not go on as they were. It wasn't unsustainable. Something had to happen. Prepared or not, that time of "something happening" is here. (And markets, how is a demand for true understanding about how an industry will spend bailout money a bad thing worthy of diving market values?!)

But here's the thing.... are we making things worse?

Cutting back in tough times is absolutely appropriate. But cutting things out completely perpetuates the negative. If you used to grab a muffin from a local bakery most mornings but since the stock market started tanking you aren't doing that at all - even if your day to day economic picture hasn't changed - you are affecting that bakery owner, aren't you? How about, if you budget allows, still grabbing that muffin once or twice a week?

Maybe you used to go out to dinner fairly regularly. Could you still go out, but less often? What about the local businesses? Can you help support them, just a little? Because if some of that kind of discretionary spending doesn't happen, more businesses will shutter and more people will be unemployed and the situation will continue to spiral down.

I'm not saying wine and dine like it's 2006. I'm not. I'm saying be careful and considerate about what is happening, keep an eye for planning for a long downturn, but don't stop participating in the economy completely. Think strategically, and think locally.

Does this make any sense to anyone but me?

3 comments:

softinthehead said...

No I am perfectly in agreement. The 24 hr media is definitely NOT helping. I have stopped watching, it doesn't make me feel good. I am being sensible - I am trying to support local businesses - although I must admit to watching what I spend and not being frivolous. Good post - I think it is what a lot of us are thinking.

Kanga Jen said...

Gotcha. ;-)

Today, we bought a couch from a local shop. Bought a 6 ft wood bookcase from a local guy. Got a car repaired (at a dealership but oh well).

Have money, will let it dribble through my fingers. eep.

Actually, we knew we needed to get all these things. I'm glad we found reasonable things from local places.

Just doing my part for the country. :-)

J said...

I was talking muffins. But I like how you think. ;-D